Can you believe tomorrow is the first day of February? We have some great events coming up in February before the midwinter recess. Read about them below.
Please join our next meeting on Monday, February 6th at 6:30PM on Zoom:
Meeting ID: 657 668 3196
Please feel free to contact us with any questions – Ali and Tari
Parent Education Series
On February 8th at 6:30 pm, we will have a Parent Education Zoom with Roger Stark, the Founder and CEO of BrainWare, and Betsy Hill, an educator using the neuroscience of learning in the classroom, who are co-authors of a new book “Your Child Learns Differently, Now What?“. They will talk about how children learn differently and how parents can understand, help and guide our kids based on these differences in Cognitive skills.
All hands on deck for our March 9th community auction/potluck at 6pm (which will follow the school’s curriculum night from 4-6, where you can see your child’s work in the classrooms)
How can you help?
- Sign up to both 1) VOLUNTEER and 2) either bring a food dish to contribute to the potluck or send in to Ms. Berkery $25 cash/check made out to “Center School PTA”. ***Important: every family is expected to sign up for (at least) one slot on March 9th in order to make the night a success***
- Donate items: we are still looking for more donations. In particular, anything health/beauty related (manicures, haircuts, massages) and tickets (sporting events, concerts, etc.). We ask for TWO donations per family. The deadline is February 20th. You can submit an online donation form HERE.
- Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram @csauction2023 to see so many of our great items.
- Questions? Email us at email@example.com
The special events committee is excited to share updates on our three great nights happening this spring:
Rita Mullaney is organizing our beloved Writers’ Night for Tuesday, April 25 (in honor of National Poetry Month) at Prohibition. Please get in touch with her directly if you’d like to participate or help organize the event.
Our Chamber Music Event is going to happen on Monday, May 1. Center School parent Kari Docter is organizing the world-class collection of classical performers once again. This is a very special, intimate evening at the home of a Center School family, with chamber music performances by our very own parents! A Center School tradition for years, this spring’s event will be curated and performed by members of the Met Opera Orchestra and Chorus who are Center School parents, and we’d love to have others join us! We are particularly in need of a violinist and violist but would be pleased to include any others too. Please contact Kari Docter directly.
If you would like to attend that event, please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Chamber music RSVP” in your email subject.
And our singer-songwriter night is going to happen on a date TBD in June. We welcome any singers, songwriters or other musicians to perform original work or covers. Last year several of us worked together to perform a few songs and we would be excited to add any new players to our group. Please send a note to email@example.com with “Singer / Songwriter night” in the subject line.
And as always, we’re excited to add any additional volunteers who want to help organize these fantastic nights!
For the Kids
Center School students are scheduled to have Picture Day on Monday, February 13th.
Nominations are now open for the Big Apple Awards. Nominations will be open until February 28, 2023. Everyone is encouraged to nominate a teacher by clicking here or emailing NYC Public Schools here. More information, including details about the selection criteria and past winners, can be found here.
Mark Your Calendar – Important Dates
- February 6: CRJE Meeting (Zoom)
- February 8: Parent Education Series (Zoom)
- February 13: Picture Day at Center School
- February 13: PTA Meeting
- February 20-24: Midwinter Recess – SCHOOL CLOSED
- March 9: Auction “Superheroes of the Center School” (In-person)
- March 16: PTA Meeting & TACS Show
- April 24: PTA Meeting
- April 25: Writers Night
- April 27: SLT Meeting
- May 1: Chamber Music Event
- May 22: PTA Meeting
- May 25: SLT Meeting
- June 12: PTA Meeting
- June 15: SLT Meeting
Kindly, Sarah Courtemanche & Joshua Weinberger
on behalf of The Center School