We hope everyone can recharge and enjoy the break.
We have many community meetings and events in April after we return – Writers Night, Community Coffee, auction interest meeting, PTA meeting. See the details below!
We are resuming our Community Coffee events in April. See you on April 28th in the courtyard after drop-off.
Great news, we had two parents volunteer to manage the annual Basket Raffle. Be on the lookout for information after spring break.
The Auction team will be holding an “Interest” meeting on Monday, April 17th right after drop off across the street at Lenwich. Join us at approximately 8:45am to learn more about the magic of the auction… and how to get more involved next year! Questions? Email us at email@example.com.
Coming in May: An opportunity for Center School families to gather to discuss questions and opportunities for our community regarding race, representation and justice. NEW tentative date for Community Discussion: Tuesday, 5/9. Please look for more information after spring break.
Writers Night is April 26th, 6PM @ Prohibition (503 Columbus Avenue between 84th & 85th streets)
- Come support the talented and imaginative members of the Center School community who will be sharing their original written works. This wonderful and inspiring event gets more popular each year and is a great chance to socialize with our community including the teachers.
- We welcome donations to the Center School PTA to support our community special events. Any donation amount is truly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your generous support of these events!
Chamber Music Night is Monday, May 1st
- We have had a fantastic response and so we are closing the RSVP list
- If you would like to be added to the waitlist please email CenterSchoolSpecialEvents@gmail.com
Singer / Songwriter Night is Tuesday, June 14th
- Please email CenterSchoolSpecialEvents@gmail.com if you would like to perform a cover or original song (All popular genres are welcome!)
PTA and SLT Opportunities
We will be hosting our PTA and SLT elections in May. We currently have several positions that will be vacant next year, so we are looking for members of our community to run for office.
If you have questions about these opportunities or positions, please contact the PTA Presidents at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Panel for Educational Policy
The PEP application is up on the DOE website and is available in 10 languages. We encourage as many parents as possible to apply. Candidates can submit their applications to PEPParentApplications@schools.nyc.gov by April 15, 2023.
The Panel for Educational Policy (PEP) consists of 23 voting members. Each borough president will appoint one member, 5 members are elected by CEC presidents (one member from each borough), and 13 members appointed by the mayor – including 4 NYC public school parents, with at least one parent of a child with an individualized education program, at least one parent of a child who is in a bilingual or English as a second language program, and at least one parent of a child attending a District 75 school or program
). These members are in addition to the Chancellor and the New York City Comptroller serving as ex-officio, and two high school students serve as non-voting members. The parent representatives will serve a one-year term from July 1, 2023, through June 30, 2024.
Safe Haven Spring Break Basketball
Players ages 7 to 13 who love basketball will enjoy full days of supervised games and instruction during public school Spring Break from April 11 – 13.
The Safe Haven West Side Basketball League’s instructors will facilitate a dynamic program geared to meet the needs of all players—from beginner to advanced skill levels.
- Location: PS 84 on West 92nd Street between CPW and Columbus
- Hours: 9am – 4pm. (Doors open at 8:30 a.m.)
Choose all three days or single days; your child will have a great time getting “court smart!”
REGISTER ONLINE at www.safehavenhoops.net. See attached letter for details.
Mark Your Calendar – Important Dates
- April 6: School CLOSED for Passover
- April 7: School CLOSED for Passover/Good Friday
- April 10-14: School CLOSED for Spring Recess
- April 21: School CLOSED for Eid al-Fitr
- April 24: PTA Meeting
- April 26: Writers Night
- April 27: SLT Meeting
- April 28: Community Coffee
- May 1: Chamber Music Event
- May 22: PTA Meeting & ELECTIONS
- May 25: SLT Meeting
- June 1: 8th Grade Show
- June 12: PTA Meeting
- June 15: SLT Meeting
Kindly, Sarah Courtemanche & Joshua Weinberger
on behalf of The Center School